I recently launched my side project Ultimate Tournament and I’m pretty excited about it. It’s an app for running Ultimate tournaments that takes care of the tricky logistics involved in running an event. Brackets especially are a pretty non-trivial graph structure which is quite different from the data I usually work with so it was a fun learning experience. I used and learned some cool new tech on this project too, notably React.js and improving my css/sass skills.
Now I’m trying my hand at marketing to try and get the word out so people use my app.
There is a lot more I want to do on this project still like adding ActionCable for web sockets and expanding it to other sports. I’ll probably build an API out soon as well, so stay tuned for some updates
If you happen to need tournament software or know someone who does please check it out!
2015 was a pretty awesome year full of new experiences, growth and accomplishments. It marked my second year of working in software professionally and school seems like a faint memory at this point. Shopify, the company where I work, IPO’d this summer which was an exciting and [possibly] once in a lifetime experience. I think this kind of post is worth doing to reflect before simply setting our sights on the next goal. So here it is my year in review in bullet points:
- Barcelona for FullStack Fest
- Stockholm Sweden for Nordic.js
- Paris France (for just over 24 hours but we saw a lot!)
- Helsinki Finland for Junction 2015
- Costa Rica for vacation
- Peru for a vacation and to hike the Inca Trail!
Sports and Fitness
- new PR squating at 255 lbs for 1 (although now I’m injured as I write this and my squat is low :sadface:)
- ran 3k in 12:35 (mm::ss)
- made a lot of improvement in mobility (I can now touch my toes!)
- I discovered and became addicted to Yoga Tune Up which has really helped support my other fitness goals
- I played my first season of competitive Ultimate with Swift
- I attended 3 away tournaments with Swift in Toronto, New York and Barrie finishing our season at No Borders in Ottawa.
- We didn’t win a lot of games (we were essentially the C team) but we did beat Goose when it counted!
- I played in my first beach tournament ever!
- I wrote my first text editor extension RailsRunMigration
- I made a script to alert me when I spend too much time coding (the irony) coding_timer
- I created some cool infographics for the OCUA Parity League
- merch-my-tweet a bot who automatically creates products from your tweets
- I built my first docker image (trivial but felt cool)
- I also shipped improvements to shopify-sinatra-app and completely re-wrote shopify-app as a proper rails engine
- Rails engines
- npm / common js build tools
- capybara / browser testing
- Chrome Extensions
- small task automation with AppScript